With a bit of different timing this year, September 12th-18th is National Small Business week for 2021, declared by the U.S. Small Business Administration. Here in Columbia County, the Columbia Economic Team (CET) has partnered with our frequent partners, Wauna Federal Credit Union, InRoads Credit Union, OMIC/PCC Training Center, and Northwest Oregon Works to host a virtual marketing event. Keep it Local Columbia County, or just Keep it Local, which as you know is a CET program, will be kicking off the small business celebration week on Monday 9/13 with “campaign rules” on Facebook & Instagram. Throughout the week, Keep it Local and our partners will share and post local business spotlights. (List tags of KIL and partners)
The marketing push is a “Hot potato” styled campaign to highlight local small business favorites. Everyone is encouraged to tag their favorite local businesses to alert them for a chance to win a $1500 grant (made possible by InRoads & Wauna). To enter, small businesses* must do three things:
- Share the campaign kick off post (found of Keep it Local Columbia County’s Facebook) OR create a post of their own to celebrate Small Business Week
- Feel free to use the image above
- Use the hashtag #sbwcc when they share/post.
- Tag 2 (or more!) other local small businesses in Columbia County to pass along “the potato.”
Entry will close 4pm Friday 9/17
The Drawing will be held Saturday morning, 9/18 at 11:00 a.m., during the South Columbia County “Roaring 20s” Centennial Celebration. If the winner isn’t present, they will be notified.
Why is this happening? Our goal is to help local neighbors — or even frequent visitors who have their own favorite local businesses — show their appreciation and support for local businesses, generate buzz around them, and encourage businesses to access the Small Business Administration as another resource to help them thrive. The SBA will be hosting virtual Summit the 13th-15th that you may find interesting and useful. Please register here: https://www.sba.gov/national-small-business-week/virtual-summit#section-header-1.
Clarification of the “Hot Potato” Game Rules
- *Small business definition (for purposes of this game): The winning business must have no more than 100 employees, is owned & has majority of operations in Columbia County, owner(s) are over 18 years old, and the business must be registered in the state of Oregon.
- Only one entry per business
- You only need one post or share on Facebook or Instagram to enter, still using the above 3 rules. However, feel free to post on both.
- Competition closes 4pm Friday for businesses to enter
- The random drawing will take place Saturday, Live on Keep it Local’s Facebook. The winner will be notified within 3 days for information on how to collect their grant.
Happy “Hop Potato-ing!”
Columbia Economic Team & Keep it Local